Friday, 10 November 2017

Friday, 10th November

Ashdown House U11 Football Tournaments

A Tournament
Winners -        Knightsbridge
Runners-Up -   Ashdown House
B Tournament
Winners -        Blackheath
Runners-Up -   Ashdown House

Today we held our inaugural Under 11 football tournaments and the day was a great success.  It was terrific to welcome some teams from London who our sides do not normally play.  Ashdown House, Copthorne and The Pointer's School from Blackheath all entered A and B teams.  Knightsbridge brought an A team only and Blackheath entered a B team, with their A team unfortunately having to withdraw this morning.

Matches were six-a-side played over five minutes each way.  The four sides in each tournament played a round-robin for the group stage.  Ashdown House came top of the table for the A teams with Knightsbridge second.  Blackheath won the B group on goal difference from Ashdown.

All teams played a fourth and final game.  In the B 3rd v 4th playoff Copthorne beat Pointer's 3-0.  In the B Final there was a superb match between Ashdown and Blackheath, with Blackheath scoring a goal in the last minute to win 1-0.  In the A 3rd v 4th playoff Copthorne beat Pointer's 1-0.  The A Final between Ashdown and Knightsbridge provided a fitting finale to the day.  Both teams played well and it ended 0-0.  In 'golden goal' extra-time (two 3-minute halves) both teams had chances to win it.  Knightsbridge finally broke the deadlock just seconds before it was due to go to penalties.  They put away a clinical finish to win 1-0.

The afternoon concluded with tea and presentations of the cups and winners' and runners-up medals.  Huge thanks to our catering department for all the refreshments, to the grounds staff and to our two referees, Mr Gloster and Mr Taylor.  We look forward to welcoming our visiting teams back next year.  MH
What a glorious day for our first under 11 Ashdown House tournament. We started our first game against a very strong Knightsbridge side. We were on the front foot most of the game and kept pushing to create chances and finally it struck. That game finished 1-0 to us.
Our second game was against Copthorne who we knew a lot about from playing them in various fixtures and tournaments prior to this. The game was end to end and strong physical tackles were made by both teams. Our build up play from the back was excellent. The ball went from the goalkeeper, into the defence, then into our midfield very smoothly.  Igui picked up the ball on the right side and chipped it over their keeper to put us up 1-0.  Near enough exactly the same goal happened again but Igui slotted it powerfully down past the keeper’s right side. The game finished 2-0 to Ashdown. With that win we had a guaranteed place in the final with one group game to play.
Our last group match was against Pointers and the boys were out for the win. Pointers gave us a really good game and the only action of the whole game was Huberto hitting the cross-bar. The end result was 0-0.
Now was time for the main event for us... the final!  You could see their nerves on the boys faces and tension building up. The message I sent across was just to enjoy it and take in the experience. The team we were playing were Knightsbridge who, yes, we beat in the group stages but I didn’t want the boys to think it was a walk in the park. The game started and it was gripping. Both sides gave it their all.  We had three cunning chances to put the game the bed but couldn’t execute. The tackles were flying it and the ref did superbly to protect both sides. The game was very even which lead to golden goal. Sadly, in the last 15 seconds of the game we conceded.
The whole team have come on in leaps and bounds over the course of the season, with big improvements from everyone. I would like to personally congratulate all the boys for all their efforts today - Ed, Sami, Freddie, Igui, Miro, Wilf, George & Huberto. Well done chaps!  JS

Thursday, 09 November 2017

Thursday, November 9th
Football v Skippers Hill
Under 9 A           Lost 2-8   
We played Skippers Hill today and had a tough match.  We seemed slow to get into the game and were not clinical enough with our tackling or passing.  Our defence was rather loose and Skippers scored five goals before half-time.  In the second half we put together some good passages of play and showed a bit more determination to contest the ball.  Skippers got out to 8-0 before Harvey, who had a terrific match, scored with a good finish.  He followed this soon after with a thunderous penalty and the game ended 8-2.  A much better second half from our boys.  Torsten battled hard all game and Jonathan showed some good touches on the ball.  We now have a week's break before our final two matches.  MH

Under 9 B           Drew 0-0
The U9Bs had to recover from yesterday’s defeat in time to face Skippers Hill on a gloomy Thursday afternoon. The opposition were a couple of players short, meaning Aidan and Archie started the match playing for them.

Once again, the vast majority of the match was played inside our own half. However, Ashdown’s defensive effort was relentless, with William Q and Paul making countless tackles and clearances. William D and George continually tried to pass and dribble their way towards the opposition’s goal; but Skippers Hill’s defence held strong.

Aidan and Archie swapped with Thomas and George, playing the second half for the opposition. The second half followed a similar pattern to the first, with Etienne having the game of his life whilst strengthening the midfield. Once again, Demyan made a number of awesome saves to prevent Ashdown from conceding, with Thomas helping by making some essential blocks inside the penalty box.
With the scores tied at full time, it was decided that the game would be decided by penalties. Despite more amazing saves being made by Demyan, as well as penalties being scored by Aidan and the two Williams, Skippers Hill were too efficient for us. We lost 5-3 on penalties.

Well done everyone for a much improved performance.  WT

Wednesday, 08 November 2017

Wednesday, 8th November

Football v Brighton College Prep
1st XI        Won 8-1 (v 2nd XI)
The result does not necessarily reflect the match as Brighton College put us under pressure on many occasion and probably played the best passing football of the two teams. However, we were able to capitalise on their mistakes and our finish was clinical today.

Ter scored 4, Murray 2 and Gus and Gonzalo got one each. It was overall a good team performance and the boys responded well to Brighton College's goal before half time which took the score to 3-1. Well done to William, Kieran and Hamish who made their debut for the 1st. It is great to see them challenging in the line up.   SR       

2nd XI       Won 3-2
A strong and gutsy performance today. With the 2s back from France to reinforce the team, the boys gelled well and produced some great passing to start the game. It was a strong and even start to the game with both teams playing well. However relentless pressure from Ashdown forced in the first for Lachlan. Continued pressure with Aanu and Hari putting in strong challenges forced another goal to Ashdown.

The second half started with high pressure from Brighton, this resulted in their first goal. Ashdown battled back and picked up their defence, with Peter and Louis controlling the show.  Tom and Dahiru played well in midfield forcing another attack. This put Lachlan in for his hatrick with a top corner finish. Brighton with a free kick from outside the box gave them their second goal in the last minutes. A great performance today, looking forward to our next match. JD

3rd IX          Won 7-1
Travelling to Brighton College for a match can be an intimidating prospect but if there were any nerves, the boys certainly didn’t show it. Lead by Rocco and Jim, the team exerted pressure right from the start and never let the opposition relax or settle on the ball. The result was a number of goals, some classy, others less so, but all underpinned by hard graft and determination.

In the second half, we were a few players down which gave us the opportunity to sharpen our passing skills and work off the ball. Whilst it was a much closer half in terms of score line, it was during the 2nd half that the quality of our play reached its zenith; we had Brighton chasing shadows.
Congratulations to all involved in this well deserved victory.   CS


Football v Cottesmore

U9B    Lost 0-7
The U9 B team faced a rematch against a strong Cottesmore side who had beaten us 7-0 before half term. William Q, Paul and William D had a tough 20 minutes ahead of them, with Ashdown being pressed inside their own half for the majority of the game. All three were superb at clearing the ball whenever they were given a chance. Demyan has an even tougher job in goal, making save after save throughout the game.

George, Felix and Archie fought hard for control of the midfield; although getting the ball off the Cottesmore players proved more difficult than we had hoped. Etienne, Aidan and Thomas made countless tackles, trying their best to dispossess the Cottesmore boys. As hard as we fought, Cottesmore just kept on coming back with more attacking moves. Demyan prevented the score from getting out of hand by making several awesome saves in the second half. Still, it just wasn’t enough.   WT

Wednesday, 18 October 2017

Wednesday, 18th October

Football v St Ronan's
1st XI               Won 3-1, Won 4-0
The 1st XI played a mini triangular with two St Ronan's teams, winning both of them.  In the opening match, we were slow to start and went behind to an impressive counter-attack from St Ronan's.  However, once again I was pleased that we kept our composure, with captain Hannay bringing us level just before the break.  We took the lead through another Rogers-Thomas header from a corner and Waya gave us the two goal cushion with minutes to spare.

In the second match (both 30 minutes) we knew that stamina and fatigue would play a part so we had to keep up with our simple passing game.  We did just that with both Waya scoring twice as well as Garrido on his birthday.  PM
2nd VII             Drew 2-2                        

Colts A            Won 4-1    
For the first half of this game, we dominated with our attacking style of play. We got into good areas early on and released the ball quickly in the opposition’s final third, this gave us great confidence. We scored four fantastic goals to put us 4-0 up at half-time.

With the game being slightly one sided very early, we decided to play with one less man for the rest of the game. With a man down and the boys playing in different positions, this gave St Ronan’s a chance to come back into the game. The instructions at half-time were to keep the ball more and just to control the game without attacking so often. We found this difficult which was fully understand and expected. This gave our boys a challenge. At the end the game finished 4-1 to Ashdown.

I must say, I was very impressed with all the boys’ attitudes towards today’s game, well done! Have a fantastic half-term break and we will be looking forward to our Under 11 tournament on the 10th November.  JS

Colts B            Won 2-0       
The Colts B had an excellent match against St Ronan's. After some confusion with the coach we ended up arriving very late and not having time to warm up. It seems that this is an effective tactic for the boys and they went on to play some lovely football resulting in a 2-0 win. A super opening goal came from George in only his second start for the team. Arty battled hard in midfield and our goalkeeper Monty organised his defence well. Congratulations to all the boys; we go into the mid-season break on a high.  RC                 

Colts C            Won 4-3
We eventually arrived at St Ronan’s, ready to put in a performance after our valiant efforts on Saturday. We started well but St Ronan’s managed to grab the lead in the first 5 minutes. However, our heads did not go down and we came back strongly with John popping up to score the equaliser. After that we managed to pass the ball nicely and Roca slotted home the second, making the score 2-1. St Ronan’s then came back into it just before half time and we finished the half at 2 apiece.

We roared out after the break and scored early on through Harrison with his trademark, arms in the air, celebration! We looked like we were cruising but St Ronan’s grabbed an equaliser with 5 minutes to go. It looked destined for a draw until Roca burst through and tapped the ball under the goalie for the winning goal! A great performance and our first victory!Well done gentlemen!  TG

Friday, 13 October 2017

Friday, 13th October
U13 Girls' Football Tournament at Handcross Park

On Friday afternoon, the girls were able to take part in their first football tournament of the year, held at Handcross Park School. The girls had been putting in some extra practice at break times, on the weekend and in games sessions leading up to the tournament.  In the pool rounds, after a slow start, the girls began to show their tenacity and determination. Cristina was fantastic in goal, making some huge saves throughout the day. We made it through to the Semifinal of the Plate competition but conceded a goal late in the match to Handcross Park, ending our campaign. The girls stepped up and are looking forward to their next tournament, later in the season.   AG

Saturday, 14 October 2017

Saturday, 14th October

Football v Brambletye
1st XI                 Drew 2-2      
As ever, this proved to be a tough, physical local derby but I am pleased to report that the boys were up for it today.  We enjoyed much of the play in the first half, but two costly mistakes saw us go 0-2 down.  However, we did not repeat the Holmewood performance and stuck to a game plan and Waya got us back into the game with a cool finish shortly before the break.  Both sides had chances in the second half and Hannay came close with a free kick.  The equaliser came shortly before the end when the ball was played out to Wilson who placed the ball perfectly to earn us a hard fought draw.  Well done to the whole team.  PM   

2nd VII               Drew 0-0
Those who watched the 2nd VII's  match were in for a really exciting battle against Brambletye. It was a head to head fight throughout the match and every single boy played very well and did not give up.

There were some fantastic upfront attacks from Ethan and Louis but we just couldn't get that ball in the back of the net. It was great to see the ball moving swiftly from our valiant defenders, Eben and Hari, through the field to our attackers aided by our very competent midfield, Lucas. The boys worked hard throughout the game and goal keeper Ocean did very well to stop Brambletye getting a goal. It was clear that they have been listening during training sessions as there were many more attempts at goal.

Unlucky boys, it could have been a very different score. Well done and keep going.Wk

Colts A              Lost 1-3          
Today we had a challenge on our hands. We were facing our local rivals Brambletye and, I must say, we played out of our skins. We started off the stronger team with chances coming but couldn’t execute. A great run was made down the wing by Miro who cut it back inside for Huberto to fire it in. After leading 1-0 for most of the half, we let a goal slip just before half time.

Trying to go positively into the second half with  very limited attacking options, we were pressed back to our goal box most of the half. Brambletye came at us and ended up scoring two further goals to make the game 3-1 to them.

I have to give a special mention to our goalkeeper today, Freddie. He pulled off some fantastic saves. If it wasn’t for him, they would have scored lots more. Good effort by all. Looking forward to our next game against St Ronan’s.  JS

Colts B              Lost 0-5     
The Colts B had a difficult match against Brambletye. We started off well, holding our positions and cancelling out their attack. It was 0-0 for much of the match, however we conceded and then dropped off slightly. Well done to the boys for their efforts, we look forward to our next match against St Ronan's.  RC 
Colts C              Lost 0-4  
The boys put in a gargantuan performance against Brambletye! Despite going 0-4 down by half time, due to some well worked goals by the opposition. They had a great motivational half time chat from Mr Moxy and they started the second half brightly, with Sasha blazing past players and, unfortunately, unable to make that killer pass. For the rest of the second half the boys never stopped and managed to stop Brambletye from scoring ANY goals in the second half. Charlie W made a couple of great saves and we ended the half with the majority of the possession. A great second half by all the boys and on to the next battle!  TG        

Under 9A           Lost 2-3            
Today we had our first local derby of the term against Brambletye.  This was a cracking good match, full of end to end football.  We took the lead inside a minute when a shot from Harvey rather fortuitously bounced and bobbled its way through the Brambletye keeper's hands.  Both teams then got stuck in and the large gathering of spectators were extremely well entertained until the final whistle.  Brambletye equalised mid-way through the first half, but we took the lead just before half-time when Harvey thundered a penalty into the back of the net.  We were 2-1 up at half-time, but it was anyone's game.  The second half was very well contested and all the players ran themselves to a standstill.  Brambletye equalised and then we managed to slice in an own goal from a corner with four minutes to go.  We threw everything at them for the last few minutes.  Harvey made some terrific runs, but just couldn't quite get a telling shot away.  Kit had a magnificent game in goal, making a host of vital blocks and saves.  Torsten and Charlie worked very hard and showed good touches of skill.  William, Teddy and George all battled hard and continue to improve.  We were a little unlucky to lose, 2-3, but the boys should be very proud of their efforts today.  MH

Under 9B           Drew 0-0
The under 9 B team had a thrilling match against Brambletye at the weekend. With fewer players available to the opposition, every member of the Ashdown side played for the opposition for a 5 minute shift. The first half was a fantastic, end to end encounter with both goalkeepers being called into action early on in the game, there was no resting for Ashdown's man mountain of a goalkeeper, Demyan, as he further infuriated Brambletye by saving everything that they could throw at him. This defensive brilliance was evident throughout the team as strong tackles from Felix and William Q ensured that the score remained even. With some narrow misses from Felix in attack who put in a fantastic performance, we dreaded him having to play for Brambletye in the second half! However the rest of the team kept up the good work with Jonathan making some great tackles and Archie using the space on the left wing to great effect. Sadly the game was too even for either team to get past the fantastic defensive effort put up by both sides. Well done to both sides.  WB

Wednesday, 11 October 2017

Wednesday, 11th October 

Football v Handcross Park
Under 9A       Lost 1-2, Won 4-1

The Under 9A team travelled to Handcross Park today to play matches against their A and B teams.  Driving rain greeted us as we stepped out of the minibus, but fortunately this stopped quickly and the matches were played in dry, windy conditions.  We played their A team first and, although the game was relatively even, we gave them too much time on the ball.  We went a goal down, equalised through Harvey, and then conceded a second in the second half.  We had a couple of good chances late on, but couldn't convert either one.  The game finished 2-1 to Handcross A.

After a short break, we played their B team.  We went a goal down, but Charlie equalised with a good left-foot finish.  Harvey scored soon after to give us a 2-1 lead at half-time.  In the second half we battled well and Harvey added two more.  Final score, 4-1.  Some good performances today!  Harvey covered acres of ground and scored four goals.  Charlie continued his good form and is becoming more of a threat on attack.  Torsten worked incredibly hard for the team throughout both matches.  Kit did well in goal and pulled off several excellent saves.  George, Teddy, William and Jonathan all tried hard and should be pleased with their efforts today.  MH

Football v Cottesmore
U9 B   Lost 0-7

We arrived at Cottesmore on a rainy Wednesday afternoon, and were met by a Cottesmore team who all appeared to be much larger than our players.
The first half featured a very strong defensive effort by Ashdown. Although we were camped inside our own half, we showed great determination and character. Thomas, Paul and William D defended as if their lives depended on it; preventing a number of charges from reaching Demyan in goal. When the ball did reach Demyan, he produced a number of wonderful saves which prevented the score line from getting out of reach. Even with out monumental defensive efforts, Cottesmore managed to score 4 unanswered goals during the first half.

The second half was a much more positive affair, with Aidan and William Q dribbling into the opposition’s side of the pitch on several occasions. Archie showed a terrier like attitude, constantly chasing the opposition down before goofing the ball towards the opposition goal. As a team, we were much more effective at closing down the space and time when Cottesmore were on the ball. Although we showed signs of drastic improvement, we still weren’t able to score our first game of the season, whilst Cottesmore scores a further 3 goals.     WT

Saturday, 07 October 2017

Saturday, 7th October

Football v Holmewood House
1st XI              Lost 0-3       
We were brought back down to earth by a gutsy Holmewood House side who took their chances. We were the dominant side in the first half, but just lacked some clinical finishing and the Holmewood keeper was excellent. We went into the break 0-0 but shortly after the interval, Holmewood took the lead. Our heads went down and we lost our composure. However, this is a good lesson for us in how to respond to going a goal down.  PM

Colts A           Won 2-1  
We went into today's match in high spirit from our last win. We started off excellently, retaining the ball well and not giving it away. Our attacking football is one of the key improvements of the team so far this term. We went 1-0 up in the first ten minutes with a great diagonal run from Huberto who powered the ball into the goal. The goal was created from some great play from the back who launched it forward for Huberto to score. After scoring, the game seemed to flatten out more with Holmewood playing more attacking, flowing football.

The second half was much about fitness levels, but we fell asleep early on to gift Holmewood a goal. This shook us up a little bit and put us into gear. Our build up play from the back into midfield was solid throughout the game with brilliant tackles being made. We caught Holmewood on the counter attack and, with a superb cross flying in, Freddie was there to tap in to make the game 2-1 to Ashdown.

Well done to everyone today. We will be looking forward to our next game against our local rivals Brambletye next Saturday!  JS

Colts B           Lost 1-7

Wednesday, 04 October 2017

Wednesday, 4th October
Football v St Christopher's

1st VIII    Won 7-0  

We hosted St Christopher's 2nd/3rd team this afternoon with eight players on each side. We played on our regular pitch which meant that plenty of space was available. We lined up with Ludo in goal, Jack and Charlie in defence, Gus, Gonzalo and Javier in midfield and with Ter supporting Murray up front. We took possession of the ball from the start and tried our luck with a few long distance shots that the opposition keeper saved well. Charlie opened the scoring with a header from a corner from Gus, Murray added two more goals in the space of five minutes and Gus and Jack also got on the score sheet before half time.

We swapped a few players around but never lost focus and we played fantastic football at times. We moved well without the ball and took advantage of the time we created when we had possession to pass to the right players. Gonzalo, Javier and Ter did well to create space and run at the defenders. 

Gonzalo scored a lovely curved shot in the second half and Ludo came onto the pitch while Gus went in goal saving a penalty admirably. Our final goal was scored by Ludo who was in the right place to head the ball in the net. It was a convincing win in the end, especially given the style of football we played. The boys are playing with more confidence and understand more and more how football has to be played. Well done guys!  SR
2nd VII              Won 4-1  
A strong and powerful performance from the 2nd VII today against St Christopher’s 3rd team. We dominated from the start and pressured their defence with lots of one-two passing and attacking runs. The possession was all ours for the first 10 minutes and we scored from a strong attack. Ethan and Lachlan then linked up well to quickly score the second for Lachlan. 
The second half started as the first and a corner was given to us with strong pressure in the box forcing in an own-goal. We were well up but then lost concentration slightly and from this they scored from a strong counter attack. Tolly and Peter shaped up the defence again and we carried on strongly. A pass from Lucas put Lachlan through for his third. Overall a great performance with every player doing their job. We are looking forward to the next game.  JD
Colts A              Won 3-1     
In our game today we faced a very strong St Christopher’s outfit. We started the game strongly, winning our battles early on. We were more determined, physical and motivated to get a result from today’s game. We were given a penalty early on and Ed stepped up and blasted the ball into the roof of the net.
Straight away we were on the front foot again to try and get the next goal. The St Christopher’s defence was excellent and  their keeper was having a worldie! After being pressed quite high up in our half, we were caught out at the back. This led to their striker being able to slot the ball away to make it 1-1. We countered immediately with Miro running through on goal and doing a fabulous turn and burning it in. We went into half-time 2-1 up.
The second half approached and we sort of knew what was coming. The opposition only had “attack” in their mind. At times we were on the back foot and had to be clever about our defending. We knew as soon as we had possession we would counter attack. The boys were very patient and waited for their chance to come. We had possession but gave it away cheaply too many times. We had our chance and we broke out with pace! Miro picked up the ball and dribbled it down the left side and slotted it through the keeper legs.
Despite us going 3-1 up with about 10 minutes to play, we didn’t hold back one bit and still attacked. We did have numerous chances but couldn’t find the fourth goal. The game finished 3-1 to Ashdown.
Congratulations to all the boys for their hard efforts!  JS 
Colts B              Lost 0-4     
The Colts B battled hard in a tough match against St Christopher's. Johnny and Hunter worked hard in defence and managed, for much of the time, to keep a a very physical opposition at bay. Freddie and Miles created several good chances but were unable to convert. We look forward to better luck against Holmewood on Saturday.  RC 
Under 9A           Lost 4-9   
The Under 9A team battled away extremely well in their match today against St Christopher's.  We took an early lead with a superb strike from Harvey, but an own goal deflected in from a corner handed our visitors an equaliser.  We were rather sloppy in defence for most of the first half and allowed St Christopher's to score some fairly easy goals.  Charlie scored with a lovely left-foot shot and we trailed 2-6 at half-time. 
In the second half the game was fairly even for ten minutes and Harvey scored a superb second.  However, we lost concentration at the back towards the end and conceded three more goals.  With the final play Harvey beat three defenders and slotted a brilliant shot from 20 metres to complete a well-deserved hat-trick.  A tough game against a good side, but the boys never gave up.  Kit made several brilliant saves in goal, Harvey was excellent and Torsten battled away all game, making numerous tackles.  Charlie continues to improve appreciably and William made some good intercepts at the back in the second half.  We now have a week to keep working before our next match. MH           
Under 9B           Lost 0-4
The U9Bs faced some tough opponents in the shape of some very large St Christopher's players. Teddy and Felix seemed to be everywhere on the pitch, putting in tackle after tackle. Demyan started in goal, making a few awesome saves in the first half. The opposition was quick and strong, making it difficult to release Thomas and Archie down the wing. This meant more of a defensive role had to be played by Etienne and Aidan, who prevented more attacks from getting through to William, who was now in goal. Paul, as the cornerstone of our defence, made some awesome clearances in the second half to prevent further attacks being made.
Although we played well as a team, we weren't given enough space to break through the strong St. Christopher's defence. Teddy, Felix and Archie all persisted with attempted attacks until the final whistle.  WT

Wednesday, 27 September 2017

Wednesday, 27th September

Football v Sunningdale

1st XI               Won 4-1

A super win away from home! We battled to a 2-1 lead at half time courtesy of some cool finishing from Ter, but as expected, Sunningdale came at us in the opening period of the second half and had us on the back foot. Charlie was commanding at the back and we weathered the storm and then enjoyed a period of pressure if our own, which saw two more goals from captain Gus, and the completion of a Ter hat-trick aided by a sublime through ball from Gonzalo. Joint men of the match are Charlie and Ter.    PM

2nd VI              Lost 0-1  

The 2nd VI played a really hard, close game today. Our defence was again very tight, with our new enforcer Peter and our captain running the show once again. They pressured first, and had a few shots off target which did not trouble Hari as of yet. In the midfield we had Lucas being solid as ever and putting in all the strong and correct challenges. It was a really tough and gutsy performance. However a quick miss kick from our team put one of their players through to score. The second half started, it was once again close with lots of challenges and close calls at goal from the opposition. However we had some good attacking football with Ethan and Zhangir and one-two passing. However the end product was not strong enough to beat the goalie. Overall it was a strong performance and we were slightly unlucky. I’m looking forward to our third fixture and seeing another strong performance.    JD

Colts A             Lost 1-3

After a long journey all the way to Sunningdale, the boys came up against a strong outlet. We started off the game the better team by being attacking minded and getting our chances away early. We kept applying the pressure and a great chance came and we took it. Ashdown went into the second half 1-0 up.

The second half is where it all sadly fell apart. Our decision making wasn’t on point which lead to Ashdown to concede three goals. The game finished 3-1 to Sunningdale but all the boys did well especially our keeper today George C.

We will be looking forward to our next game against St. Christopher’s next Wednesday at home. Well done chaps.  JS

Colts B             Lost 0-8

The Colts B had a difficult afternoon against Sunningdale. We were 1-0 down for much of the game and it was looking close until mid way through the second half when Sunningdale started finding the back of the net. Well done to the boys, we look forward to our next fixture.    RC

Colts C             Lost 0-10

We lost the toss and Sunningdale chose to kick off. From then on we knew we were in for a hard battle. The Sunningdale boys passed the ball well and managed to find space away from our players. At half time our heads went down but we came back strong in the second half and defended valiantly, William D. putting his body on the line on a number of occasions! In the end Sunningdale were too strong for us but the boys showed great determination and resilience. Onto the next game boys!    TG

Under 9A          Lost 2-5

The Under 9A team travelled away to Sunningdale today looking forward to a good match.  We came up against a useful Sunningdale side who outplayed us across the park.  They passed the ball well and attacked with confidence and pressured us quickly when we had the ball.  They scored twice before half-time and added three more in the second half.  We rallied well at the end with Harvey scoring two good goals in the last five minutes.  Plenty for the boys to learn from today's game!      MH

Wednesday, 20 September 2017

Wednesday, 20th September

Football v Imberhorne
1st XI             Lost 2-3        

Well our unbeaten run came to an end with a thrilling game against a talented Imberhorne side.  We took the lead early on through a clinical Smith finish, but some sloppy defending from two corners allowed Imberhorne back into the game to go into the break 1-2.  However, we put in a much better performance in the second half and nearly equalised when Terhide Waya found the back of the net from a Hannay through ball, but he was just offside.  Shortly afterwards, Hannay leveled with a wonder strike but unfortunately in the last few seconds of the game, Imberhorne clinched a winner with a free kick.  We still need to work on defending set pieces, but hige congratulations to Gus Hannay who has now scored a 1st XI goal in each of the last 3 seasons! PM


Tuesday, 19 September 2017

Tuesday, 19th September
Brambletye 6-a-side 1st & Colts A Tournaments

1st VI             Plate Semi-Finals         

Colts A VI       Plate Winners
What a lovely afternoon if was for a football tournament today. We kicked things off by playing the hosts, Brambletye. The game was very much one sided and we came off worst by losing the game 0-7. We had a 10 minute break before our next game and we went over all of the tactics and positional roles. Our next game was against Copthorne. It was a very fair game with both teams attacking . We defended fantastically but we couldn't score. The game finished 1-0 to Copthorne. 

We stayed on to play St Christopher's. We decided to play the possession game (keep the ball) as much as possible but in some areas we rather overdid it..The boys worked really hard to win the ball back.. Suddenly the ball was slipped through to Miles who slotted it away. The game finished 1-0 to Ashdown.

After a great win the boys were buzzing for the Plate semi-final. Our thoughts were to slowly work our way up the pitch,while keeping the ball in doing so. You could see the boys struggling as their fitness levels dropped. Despite this, maximum effort was needed. The game went into golden goal and the tension was building on both sides. Tough tackles were flying in. Suddenly Freddie played a risky ball through the defensive line and made it through for Ed to slot it home for the win. Final here we come...

The last stepping stone approached us and what a performance it was by the Colts! We played in our normal 2-2-1 formation with the attackers needing to come and defend. You could sense the nerves of all 12 boys on the pitch. The game was very much even till the second half. Ashdown kicked off and straight away attacked.  Within a minute we had pushed the opposition back with the amount of pressure we applied. Miles made a brilliant run and scored a very driven goal. After a tense end the game finished 1-0 to Ashdown to make them the Plate Winners.
I would personally like to congratulate all of the boys for all their efforts. Well done.  JS

Saturday, 16 September 2017

Saturday, 16th September

Football v Cottesmore
1st XI            Won 2-1       
Another win to make it three wins from three!  We started the game brightly and got the breakthrough with a good finish from Waya.  However, we weren't able to capitalise on our dominant possession in the first half and went into the break with a slender lead.  Smith gave us a two goal lead in the second half, but after that we sat back and let Cottesmore back into the game and they certainly made things tough for us.  Cottesmore cut the deficit and had plenty of opportunities of their own from set pieces, but fortunately we held on for a well-fought win. PM
2nd VI           Drew 3-3    
The 2nd VI put in a gutsy performance against Cottesmore. We started with a strong defence, Louis running the line and controlling things as our enforcer. Then a strong counter attack by Lachlan forced in the first goal- his first of three! The second shortly followed. We were up 2-0 fantastic! However the last five minutes of the first half we started to run out of steam and conceded a goal. After the half time interval, we conceded another goal. With the score at 2-2 the defence quickly shaped up with Hari and Aanu furiously chasing the ball and putting in the right tackles. Thanks to this, we were on the counter attack again and another stunning strike into the top corner by Lachlan completed his hatrick. Ahead with minutes to spare, a late challenge in the box gifted Cottesmore a penalty which was duly converted and the scores were again level. Overall, a fantastic start to the season and a very strong performance. We are all looking forward to our next match.  JD     
Colts A          Lost 0-2       
What a massive improvement from all of the boys today! We were very determined and focused on today's game. We started off on the right foot by winning our tackles and challenging for the second ball. Theo made some great saves to keep us in the game, but we just couldn't score the other end. Eventually Cottesmore caught us on the counter and scored to make the game 1-0 to them.

Wilf and Ed started as our two defenders. Both did a fantastic job by blocking their crosses and stopping any forward runs being made. Miro and Freddie were the starting wingers and both made a great impact by running down the wing and playing the ball to our midfielders. To which Huberto and George were their creating space and creating a great build up play between them both.

We kept putting the pressure on even at 0-1 down. Sadly we lost the ball in possession and they broke through and clinched another goal. Half time approached and, even though we were going into the second half 0-2 down, all the boys were still inching to turn this game around. After swapping a few people around, Sami went into defence and made a big impact. His partnership with Wilf was lovely to watch.

Although we frequently held on to the ball too long, we fought to win the ball back. We must have had roughly three shots in around 10 seconds but their keeper was having a worldly!

The game did finish 2-0 to Cottesmore but each and every player gave it his all today. In training, I think we just need to work on passing the ball a bit more quickly and talking to our team-mates. A lot of the time it was very quiet on the pitch. This will I am sure take shape soon.

Good effort today boys and I hope you are all looking forward to the Brambletye tournament on Tuesday. Well done!    JS
Colts B          Lost 1-2    
The Colts B had a close match against Cottesmore. We had a slow start, conceding 2 early goals, but then found our rhythm and played some attractive football. The second half was dominated by Ashdown and a superb goal came from striker Miles. It was exciting, end to end football and the boys were unlucky to lose 1-2. Well done to all. RC
Colts C          Lost 2-3
On a sunny Saturday afternoon the Colts C took on Cottesmore. The game started well with George and John working hard for the ball. Unfortunately Cottesmore got the lead with a breakaway goal just before half time. In the second half the whole team rallied and Harrison popped up to score his first ever goal for Ashdown. Cottesmore then replied with two well worked goals, leaving us with 5 minutes to score 2 or 3 goals. John managed to score from the edge of the box but we fell just short losing 2-3. A An epic game with great sportmanship and attitude shown by all the Ashdown boys! Great start to the season.  TG     
Under 9A       Won 6-2
The Under 9A football team continued their promising start to the season with a fine 6-2 victory at home over Cottesmore.  Although there were times when we were too bunched around the ball, the boys showed some encouraging passages of play, with good passing and movement.  Harvey stood out with four excellent goals, all scored from outside the box.  He also drew several very good saves from the Cottesmore 'keeper with powerful shots that were on target.  Jonathan scored two lovely goals with good strikes.  Torsten and Teddy both played very well and continue to grow in confidence.  Kit, William, Charlie, Felix and George all put in plenty of effort and all the boys should be proud of their performance today.  MH

Friday, 15 September 2017

Friday, 15th September

Ashdown House U8 A + B Football Tournaments
A Tournament
Winners -        Eaton House The Manor A
Runners Up -   Finton House A
B Tournament
Winners -        Finton House B
Runners Up -   Knightsbridge B
Today we hosted our annual U8 football tournaments for the tenth year.  We were blessed with a warm, sunny day and the pitches were in pristine condition.  Seven schools from London joined us and they brought a total of 15 teams.  The eight A teams contested one tournament, while the B tournament consisted of six B teams and two C teams.  Matches were six-a-side and lasted five minutes each way.  We kicked off at 11:00am and every team played their three group games by 12:30, at which point our visiting players, staff and parents went up to the Dining Hall for a delicious fish'n'chip lunch.  With about 170 visitors the Dining Hall was bursting at the seams!  Our catering department did an amazing job! 

After lunch the football resumed with every team playing in the quarter-finals.  Matches were keenly contested and the winners progressed to the semi-finals.  At this stage, in the A tournament Finton House A beat Merlin A 1-0, while Eaton House A beat Knightsbridge A 1-0.  In the B tournament Knightsbridge B beat Westminster B 4-2 and Finton House B beat Eaton House B 2-0.  Fittingly, we had two tremendous finals.  In the B final Finton House B and Knightsbridge B drew 1-1 and then could not be separated over six minutes of extra-time.  They went to penalties, were still level after five each, before Finton House won during sudden-death penalties.  In the A final an exciting and very even match went to Eaton House, who triumphed 1-0 against Finton House.

The day concluded with afternoon tea and the presentation of cups and medals for the winners and runners-up.  Many thanks to the grounds staff, our catering team and last, but not least, to our four referees - Mr and Mrs Gloster, Mr Coppack and Mr H de Moraville - who all did an excellent job.  Everyone had a great day and we look forward to welcoming our teams back from London next year.  MH

Wednesday, 13 September 2017

Wednesday, 13th September

Football v Skippers Hill

1st XI    Won 9-0
(Waya 2; Rogers-Thomas 2; de Heredia 2; Smith; Garrido; Bada)

A comprehensive win for the 1st XI and it was good to see lots of players getting on the score sheet, as well as not conceding the other end.  We threatened from many areas and Rogers-Thomas scored from a well timed header off a corner.  Communication and off the ball movement still needs to improve, as well as a little more overall fitness!  Gus  captained well with his unselfish play and Can played intelligently at the back whilst reading the game extremely well.  PM
Football Quadrangular at Cottesmore
Under 9A         Joint Winners
The Under 9A team travelled to Cottesmore today for their first fixture of the term.  We played a mini-tournament against Cottesmore and Handcross Park A and B.  All matches lasted eight minutes one way.  In our first match we did very well to beat Cottesmore 1-0.  We had the better of play, but Cottesmore defended well.  Harvey was a constant threat in attack, but he had several good shots saved.  Eventually Torsten tucked away a nice left-foot finish to give us the win.  In our second match we played a useful Handcross A team.  Play was even, although they looked dangerous on attack.  We conceded an unlucky own goal, but equalised a minute later when Harvey unleashed a thunderbolt from 20 metres which was rather spectacular.  Handcross threatened again, but Kit made a superb save to stop a goal-bound shot.  The game finished 1-1.  In our final match we played Handcross B in steady rain, but we knocked the ball around confidently.  Jonathan scored first with a nice right-foot strike and Harvey scored a beauty from wide on the right.  This gave us a comfortable win and joint first place with Handcross A. 
This was an invaluable afternoon for the boys, with several new boys playing their first match for Ashdown.  Harvey was our 'player of the day', but he was well supported by the others.  Torsten and Jonathan worked hard and showed some good touches on the ball.  Charlie played well at left-back, making some good runs down the wing.  William covered plenty of ground at right-back and made some useful interceptions.  Teddy and George grew in confidence throughout the matches and Kit did well in goal, although he was not often tested.  A very good start for the U9s and we now look forward to Cottesmore at home on Saturday.  MH
<<  1 2 3 [45 6  >>