Saturday, 09 September 2017

Saturday, 9th September

Football v Dorset House
1st XI             Won 3-2 
This was a jolly good first performance of the season.  The boys should be commended for the way they applied themselves and never gave up.  In the first half we looked dangerous on the attack and we forced plenty of corners.  This pressure forced Dorset House into conceding an own goal, and Waya's pressure on the keeper gave us a second.  However, some slightly poor marking and lapses in concentration let Dorset House back in the game and they always threatened from set pieces, despite Ludo Ferrario saving a penalty.  This is something we shall focus on.  However, we went into the break confident that we could get something out of the game. Dorset House had the upper hand for the first 15 minutes of the second half and we found ourselves on the back foot.  However, for the last 10 minutes, we fought our way back and some pressure from our attackers forced another own goal.  It is early days, but this was a creditable win against a decent side so the boys should feel proud with what they have achieved.  Well done.   PM
Colts A           Lost 1-7 
Today we went into the game pretty well prepared. Unfortunately it it didn't pay off in certain areas. We started the game sluggishly by conceding within the first 20 seconds, but our heads didn't drop at all and we kept pushing for the equaliser. As the game went on Dorset House found the gaps in our midfield and defence and scored another three.
After a strong team talk at half-time, the boys went out and fought again. We let slip another goal but responded brilliant by scoring a fabulous goal the other end. Everyone  gave it their all. Well done chaps.  JS
Colts B           Lost 1-4
The Colts B showed promise in their first match of the season. We worked hard in midfield, Wilf, Miles and Monty dominated possession for long periods of the game. Goalkeeper Theo and defenders Hunter and Johnny did very well and the score would have been a lot better had it not have been for an opposition striker with a mean right foot. We look forward to our next game.  RC

Wednesday, 23 November 2016

Wednesday, 23rd November
Great Walstead U13 Girls' Football Tournament
1st VII          4th in group

Wednesday, 16 November 2016

Wednesday, 16th November
Football v Woodcote House
Colts A              Lost 0-4
The Colts A finished their football season with an away trip to Woodcote House. Despite a good start from our boys, we could not convert our chances early in the game and Woodcote grew in confidence. They scored after a missed opportunity to clear the ball and went up one nil up at half time. We were very much in the game but have to give a little more and have a little bit more self belief to do better. Woodcote House was not overly superior to Ashdown this afternoon.Unfortunately that goal was too much for our moral and we gave too much time to the opposition who added three other goals in the second half.

It has been a difficult season for our Colts A.  They conceded a lot of goals in the early games of the season  which affected the boys who lost their belief. We finish with one victory against Handcross Park B team and eight goals scored from Edward, Tom, William (all scored twice) and Igui and George.  SR


Colts B              Lost 1-7

Wednesday, 16 November 2016

Wednesday, 16th November

Football v Christ's Hospital
1st XI               Won 3-1     
What a great end to the season!  The boys showed real character today against a Christ's Hospital side who passed the ball with pace.  We found ourselves a goal down by being caught out of position and perhaps could have conceded a second.  However, a Duarte wonder strike steadied the nerves and de Havas finished off a fine passing move to give us the edge going into the break.  Credit to Christ's Hospital who kept coming at us and Innes had to keep his cool in goal with more fine saves.  Hannay had a goal disallowed before Gibbs slotted home our third to give us that all important two goal cushion. 

Our final seven games of the season saw three wins, three draws and one defeat. The boys should be commended for the progress they have made.  Well done!  PM

2nd IX               Won 5-1         
What a superb way to finish the season!

The boys saved their best until last, producing a performance of poise, style, and substance. Goals came at regular intervals from Murray, Seb and Julius. Myles also scored a pair which I think seals his victory in the golden boot competition.

A very pleasing afternoon. Well played one and all.  CS

3rd IX                Drew 1-1

The Mighty Thirds found themselves in a tense battle with Christ's Hospital. Alex Wang held the defence together, leading with authority and by example. Our defence and midfield played well, trying their hardest to set up Will and Alex upfront. Hari was relentless in the midfield, constantly hassling the opposition whenever they were on the ball.

We went 1-0 down early on, but showed great fighting spirit to come back and draw level late on in the game. Alex and Will had plenty of chances, but the opposition's keeper was flawless in goal.

We were unable to convert our chances; but we also managed to prevent the opposition from scoring (albeit with a bit of luck). The game went to extra time. Alex had an excellent chance to score in the final seconds of the game, curling a free kick towards the top of the goal. The keeper pulled off a brilliant save, tipping the ball over the bar. WT

Saturday, 12 November 2016

Saturday, 12th November

Football v Ardingly
1st XI              Drew 1-1   
This was arguably our best performance of the season thus far.  We were much more competitive against an Ardingly side who passed the ball well.  Both sides had chances to take the lead in the first half, but it was 'honours even' at the break.  Ardingly went ahead early in the second half because we didn't clear the ball early enough.  However, a well-worked goal culminating in a wonder strike from Gus Hannay brought us level.  It was end to end stuff and we battled hard and can certainly feel confident going into our final game of the season.  PM      

Colts A           Lost 2-8
We welcomed Ardingly for our second to last game of the season. We conceded a couple of soft goals quickly which was disappointing and the score was 0-3 at half time. A few goals later we took advantage of a nice move on the left of the box, George was fouled and advantage played and William put the ball just underneath the crossbar for a consolation goal. After a bad clearance by the Ardingly defence, Edward added the second with a long range effort to make it 2-8 as a final score. Despite the result we were unfortunate to concede at least three soft goals making today's task even harder. SR


Wednesday, 09 November 2016

Wednesday, 9th November

Football v Brighton College
1st XI   Lost 1-4
After our win against Brambletye, we were brought back down to earth by a very good Brighton College side.  We were unable to convert some decent chances in the first half and Brighton went into the break1-0 up.  However, some careless errors and missed tackles allowed Brighton to convert three more chances, despite some fine saves from Innes in goal.  This said, we stepped up a gear in the last 10 minutes and perhaps had more of the play.  Hannay and de Havas worked well up front to score a consolation goal, but this was sadly too little too late.   PM

2nd XI    Lost 0-4
Having to make changes to the team sheet was an inconvenience, but does not account for the start we made to today's game. The first half showed a lack of thought and commitment and, when the occasional chances came, we were unable to take them.

The second half was a vast improvement. We managed to find a great deal more space largely due to an increase in work ethic. We created many more chances in the second half but unfortunately weren't able to improve our accuracy.

Better luck next time, gents.   CS

3rd IX             Lost 0-6

On Wednesday afternoon the 3rds travelled to Brighton to take on Brighton College’s 4th team. Unfortunately the opposition proved to be too strong on the day, and controlled most of the play in the Ashdown half. Tolly played brilliantly in goal, making a number of excellent saves to frustrate the opposition, but ultimately Brighton were able to outmaneuver and outplay Ashdown and ended up winning the game 6-0. To their credit the 3rds kept plugging away and they had a couple of chances to score themselves, the best of which fell to Alexander in the closing stages of the match.

Let us hope for better results in the final stages of the football season. JT

Thursday, 03 November 2016

Thursday, 3rd November

Football v Skippers Hill
U9 C    Lost 0-5

We came up against a very strong Skippers C Team, who had a couple of very skillful players. To combat this, Captain Teddy managed to cover every blade of grass on the pitch, defending aggressively and well. Boris, who usually plays in goal, had a great game without the gloves on, showing what a versatile player he can be. Aidan, Etienne and Thomas didn't stop running for the whole game either, but we weren't able to convert our hard work into goals. Kit was fantastic in goal, making great saves throughout the match. Despite Kit's great goalkeeping and the boys' terrific determination, Skippers were just to strong. WT

Saturday, 05 November 2016

Saturday, 5th November

Football v Brambletye
1st XI               Won 2-1  
This was a thrilling match with end to end action.  Brambletye had the edge in their passing and pressing, but we defended well in the first half and went into the break 1-0 up courtesy of a goal from Waya.  As expected, this well-drilled Brambletye side came at us in the second half and had us on the back foot for large parts of the game.  It wasn't surprising that they achieved a well deserved goal.  Thatcher and Pelling came on to provide some fresh legs and a wonder-goal from Gus Hannay gave us a 2-1 lead.  Brambletye had plenty of chances, but Innes kept his cool in goal.  A super win, well done!  PM
2nd IX              Lost 3-5   
On Saturday afternoon the 2nd IX travelled to Brambletye, aiming to get the upper hand on their local rivals. It was the season debut for our returning 2s' boys, and everyone on the team contributed to a very exciting, high scoring match. The opening goal came from some classic route one football. Theo launched a goal kick up field which Murray did well to control, and Murray then waltzed his way passed a number of defenders and converted a great solo goal with a composed finish. Unfortunately Brambletye equalized soon after, following some neat build up of their own and a tidy finish. The rest of the first half was very competitive and fairly even, but with the last kick of the half, Brambletye edged ahead.

Brambletye added a third straight after the kick off. Theo did brilliantly to get a hand to the shot, but he could only watch as it agonizingly crept over the goal line. Ashdown rallied after this early setback and proceeded to dominate the next five minutes. Myles brushed the right hand post with a superb effort, and had another chance from a corner soon after. Murray then scored his second after some good build up down the right hand side. Ashdown came tantalising close to equalising soon after, with Murray almost converting an inch perfect cross from Can. Brambletye, sensing they had been let off the hook, started to gain a measure of control in the game and added a fourth with a quick break away goal. Can nearly pulled one back after some good interplay down the left hand side involving Harry, Tolu and Javier. Unfortunately, Brambletye took advantage of some tired legs and scored a fifth on the counter. To their credit, Ashdown kept working hard and scored the goal of the game in the final moments. Seb played a great ball down the right flank which Murray laid off to Javier, who chipped a first time cross over the defense and into the path of Can who finished off a great team goal. The final whistle soon followed, with Brambletye winning the game 5-3.

It was a great end-to-end game of football, with Ashdown looking promising in attack. The boys had plenty of chances to add to their three goals, and with a bit more luck at the back they could have come away with a draw.  JT

3rd IX               Drew 1-1 
Colts A            Lost 0-8    
We played our second match against Brambletye and did not have the best afternoon. We were outpaced and outskilled by a very good side. It was 0-5 at half time and our opposition scored another three in the second half. We never gave up in the match and nearly got a consolation goal with George's shot hitting the crossbar and the kick off the rebound not quite making the goal.  SR
Colts B            Lost 0-6    
Under 9A         Lost 1-3     
A very keenly fought match today in reasonably pleasant conditions.  There was definitely a touch of autumn this afternoon, but both teams gave their all.  Brambletye scored three goals by half-time, with a mixture of very good attacking play and some lapses by us in defence.  We were guilty of some inaccurate passing and some heavy touches on the ball, while our hosts tended to retain possession more efficiently.  That said, we made some good forays into their half of the pitch, but couldn't quite put the finishing touches to it.  In the second half we played much better.  Harvey and Ben made numerous breaks into Brambletye's half and caused all sorts of problems.  One sweeping move featured some delightful inter-passing before Ben slotted the ball into the net.  Brambletye kept attacking and were a constant threat and we rode our luck at times.  One free kick rebounded off our post.  Several of their shots whizzed just wide, but we had our chances too.  Wilf had a sensational second half, making a host of tackles and halting Brambletye's moves.  Daniel and Harry defended with gusto and made some excellent tackles and clearing headers.  Harvey and Ben were all over the pitch like men-possessed.  Monty was composed at the back and made some good stops and blocks.  A thoroughly entertaining match!  Well played, U9s!  MH

Wednesday, 02 November 2016

Wednesday, 2nd November

Football v Hilden Grange

Colts A   Lost 0-1
Our first match after half term saw us visiting Hilden Grange where we played their Colts B. Edward was back in the team and Vlad moved to midfield where he made a good impact in our last game. The possession was mainly Hilden Grange's but we managed to keep them from scoring. Sami and Will did well at the back and Nikita made good saves ensuring a draw at half time. Tom, Vlad and Ed were kept busy but struggled to take control of the ball and we did not keep our calm when we had opportunities to bring the ball forward in those first 20 minutes. George often had to come in midfield to get a piece of the action. In the second half we were more dangerous up front since our midfield used the ball better. Our passing and movement were more accurate and the game evened out. Hilden Grange was still dangerous and created chances but the only goal came out of nowhere and was a world class shot: a volley from outside the box which ended up in the top corner. Despite our best effort and a big push in the last ten minutes we could not convert our chances.  It was a good display from the boys who worked together, supporting each other with proper teamwork. There is work to be done to use the ball when we have possession and we will test our progress with our second match against Brambletye on Saturday.  SR

Colts B   Lost 1-4
The Colts B footballers battled very hard today away in Hildenborough against Hilden Grange Colts E.  The first half was fairly even, but we were guilty of being too loose with possession and gave away a lot of ball, even though we worked ourselves into good positions.  Too often we made inroads, but then hit passes straight to the opposition.  Hilden Grange scored from a corner to lead 1-0 at half-time.  In the second half we started to put more pressure on them and had a good share of possession.  Igui worked hard in midfield and was involved in a number of good passing moves.  Alex D was lively and covered plenty of ground, while Freddie made some promising, jinking runs.  Late in the game we were down 0-4 when the ball was cleared towards Kent (our player, not the county!) from a corner.  Although outside the box he hit a sensational first time shot which crashed into the back of the net from about twenty yards.  This gave us a new lease of life and we played some super football in the last ten minutes, but a number of shots on goal couldn't beat their excellent 'keeper.  Hilden Grange deserved their victory, but the game was much closer than 1-4 suggests.  MH


Wednesday, 02 November 2016

Thursday, 3rd November

Football v Skippers Hill

U9A   Lost 0-4

A terrific match today for the U9 A team in a new fixture against Skippers Hill.  In beautiful conditions Skippers made a sensational start, catching us cold and they scored two goals in the first two minutes, the first with a superb 20-metre strike.  We gradually fought our way back into an end-to-end match, but neither side scored again before half-time.  Our defence tended to stay too deep, allowing a big gap in our ranks.  As a result Skippers dominated in midfield.  We put some better attacks together in the second half with Harvey, Ben and Wilf working very hard to try to create some openings.  However, the Skippers' defence showed positional awareness and pace and we struggled to get shots on goal after good build-up play.  Skippers added two more goals in the second half, although Daniel, Hunter and Harry showed a lot more urgency and skill in the second period of play.  Behind them all Monty had a brilliant game in goal, making some fine saves.  In one exciting passage of play which drew gasps from the spectators he made four superb blocks in the space of about five seconds.  A good, enjoyable game and we now look forward to our second fixture with Brambletye on Saturday.  MH

U9B   Lost 0-8

U9C   Lost 0-5
We came up against a very strong Skippers C Team, who had a couple of very skillful players. To combat this, Captain Teddy managed to cover every blade of grass on the pitch, defending aggressively and well. Boris, who usually plays in goal, had a great game without the gloves on, showing what a versatile player he can be. Aidan, Etienne and Thomas didn't stop running for the whole game either, but we weren't able to convert our hard work into goals. Kit was fantastic in goal, making great saves throughout the match. Despite Kit's great goalkeeping and the boys' terrific determination, Skippers were just too strong.  WT




Wednesday, 19 October 2016

Wednesday, 19th October

Football v St Ronan's

1st XI     Drew 1-1 
2nd VI    Won 2-0, Won 2-0 

Colts A    Lost 1-8  
It was another difficult afternoon for the boys this Wednesday when we hosted St Ronan's. We played a strong and well drilled squad mixing some A players and B players. We spent most of the first half in our own half and defended well conceding three goals including the last two in the space of two minutes before the whistle. Vlad was moved to a midfield position to offer more support for Tom and Will. George followed up a poor pass in the first10 minutes of the second half and went past the goalkeeper for an easy tap in – a just reward for the team’s hard work. Sadly, we relaxed and St Ronan's made us pay quickly. Sami, Rocco and Nikita did their best but the passing and running from the St Ronan's players was too much to handle.

In the end it was a bitter defeat given the way we played in the past few matches. We faced a strong side and did our best to match them. The Ashdown boys deserve a rest before attacking the last three matches of the season after half term.  SR

Colts B Lost 1-2

Saturday, 15 October 2016

Saturday, 15th October

Football v Brambletye

1st XI            Drew 0-0        
This was by far our best performance to date.  At times we had to defend well and dig deep as Brambletye kept on coming at us.  However, we were sensible and used this as a spring-board for counter attacks - classic away team football!  Andrew Innes was outstanding in goal to earn a clean sheet and perhaps his finest moment was tipping a free kick onto the bar to deny Brambletye.  We were not without chances the other end.  Two one-on-ones with the keeper looked certain to be goals but alas fortune did not favour us on these occasions.  A super result and I hope we can continue to build on this moving forward.  PM

2nd VI           Lost  1-4 
We seem to be getting into the habit of making slow starts. Yet again we went 0-1 down early on and it wasn't until we had conceded that we found our feet.

Myles scored a thumping equaliser but after that we went back to sleep and Brambletye ran out comfortable winners. Whilst we were beaten by the better side, we lacked focus and were lazy at times. Thankfully, we have another opportunity post half term to rectify this.  CS


Colts A          Lost 1-3   
We had a trip to Brambletye this afternoon to play their Colts A. Up against a team we faced in the 6-a-side tournament to whom we lost 0-2 we knew the afternoon would be tussle and we had to give of our best for forty minutes.  We have the tendency to not start well and watch other teams play in the first five minutes of a game;  today was no exception - we did not concentrate and Brambletye opened the scoring quickly. Our opposition pushed hard and we had to defend for most of the first half without really giving everything we could.

The second half started with more determination from the Ashdown boys and we pressed harder and were stronger in the challenges. As a result we took possession of the ball higher on the pitch and the Brambletye players made more mistakes. Igui, Tom and George were lively up front and William made a couple of runs to cause chaos in the defence. On one of those runs, he was fouled and decided to take the kick himself. It was powerful and on target, it took a little deflection from a defender and went in the net. Vlad and Rocco were brilliant at the back and booted away everything coming in their zone. Between the posts Nikita is confirming his potential with another good performance and some good saves to keep his team alive and in the match. It took a moment of brilliance from Brambletye to score their second, a great turn and a clean finish to get 2-1 up and another goal was scored in the end of the match as we tired.  This encouraging performance in the second half shows that we have the potential to do well against strong teams. We gave our best after a slow start and finished with no regrets.  SR      

Colts B          Lost 0-7 
The Colts B had a difficult afternoon against Brambletye. We were without some of our players and came up against skillful opposition that moved the ball well. They scored some excellent goals despite our defenders Toby and Kent working very hard indeed. Well done to the boys for trying to the end.       RC 

Under 9A       Lost 1-6   
The U9 A Team faced the tough opposition of Brambletye. Two early and very fortunate goals fell against us, making the mountain even higher for us to climb. Ben and Harvey combined brilliantly upfront, and Harry managed to cover the entire pitch, clearing up any scraps. Daniel was solid at the back and Monty made a number of fine saves, preventing a couple of certain goals at least. Wilf and Luca made up the midfield, covering every blade of grass on the pitch.

Luck wasn't on our side, and Brambletye managed to convert their fortune into goals. The boys were finally rewarded for their hard work with Wilf knocking the ball into the back of the net. However, the consolation goal wasn't enough to prevent a heavy defeat against a strong Brambletye side.  WT

Under 9B       Lost 0-4       


Friday, 14 October 2016

Friday, 14th October

Handcross Park U13 Girls' Football Tournament
1st VII            4th

The U13 girls took part in the annual 7-a-side football tournament at Hadcross Park this afternoon. They are lucky to get some practice on Thursday afternoon activities and always play the beautiful game with a great spirit. We started against a strong challenger (and the overall winner) - Ardingly. We drew 0-0 despite some good chances to clinch a winner from Marta. Lily and Esme were decisive on the other side of the pitch and Lexi kept goal well. The game was a warm-up one and we were determined to beat Brighton College Prep B team in the second match. This was a game we dominated but we were too impatient in the final shot.  Sonia, Coro and Marta could not find the target or when they did, the goalie stopped their attempt. Our third match was against Handcross Park B2s, once again we pushed hard and camped in their half but the ball did not want to go in the net. Finally, captain Sonia picked up a clear opportunity and scored our first goal. Morale went up and Marta scored a second with nice play just before the end. The last match was a ‘final’ against Handcross Park B1s who were one point in front and a win would mean we would play in the play-off. It was a close match, our defenders Lily and Esme formed a great duo at the back and did not let the strikers or the ball get passed them. Lexi kept another clean sheet and Sonia put the ball in the roof of the nets two minutes before the end. We finished  second in our group with 8 points, two wins and two draws, 3 goals scored and none conceded, good team work! Our final match was against Handcross Park A. The ball went  from one end to another but sadly the only goal of the match was scored by our hosts. Despite a final push from a tireless Jemima to take the ball forward and opportunities from Marta and our vice captain Coro, we did not score the vital goal. We finished fourth overall out of ten teams which is very good.
Congratulations to the girls for playing with such a great spirit and genuine friendship. The girls nominated Esme the Most Improved Player and their captain Sonia the Most Valuable Player. Well done overall and we look forward to our next football tournament at Great Walstead next month.  SR


Wednesday, 12 October 2016

Wednesday, 12th October

Football v Handcross Park

2nd VI           Won 1-0, Won 3-0    
Playing a couple of competitive games of football on a beautiful autumnal afternoon in the sunshine is an absolute joy...especially when the results go your way!

Playing two Handcross teams was a tall order but the boys embraced the challenge and gave it their all. In the first match, Finn made a great run and finished from close range. Andrew made many great saves and our defensive unit of Tomo, Alex and Alex were determined and robust. Myles also made many great contributions and we finished as 1-0 victors.

The second match saw us really get the bit between the teeth. Goals from Ethan, Myles and Finn secured us a pleasing win.

All in all a very enjoyable afternoon and well played all three teams.  CS
Under 9A       Lost 1-2     
Another cracking match today for the Under 9A team.  We played well on an unusually large pitch, so there were some tired boys at the end.  We led 1-0 at half-time after scoring a fine team goal.  Harvey and Ben inter-passed well down the left and a fine cross found Wilf in front of an open goal for an easy tap in.  Handcross came back well in the second half and equalised with a superb left foot shot direct from a free kick.  Play ebbed and flowed up and down the pitch.  Harvey and Ben ran themselves into the ground and made our opponents work very hard to create chances.  Wilf had a very good game and made plenty of tackles.  Harry and Daniel worked hard in defence and continue to improve.  They made plenty of blocks and intercepts against some very good Handcross players.  Monty fielded everything cleanly in goal and was alert to any balls coming near his area.  Unfortunately we had a little defensive mix-up with about two minutes to go and we rather gifted Handcross their winner.   Although the result didn't go our way, the boys gave a fine performance and could not have tried harder.  We now look forward to Brambletye on Saturday.  MH               
Under 9B       Lost 0-3                               

Football v Handcross Park and Lingfield Notre Dame
Colts A          Won 2-0, Lost 0-2        
The annual triangular at Handcross Park was this Wednesday. We were playing the host's and Lingfield Notre Dame B teams and after a more than decent performance in our previous match on Saturday the boys were looking forward to battling on the football pitch again.

We started against Handcross. We didn't threaten their goalie much in the first half and Handcross we pressing us well. However we held on and the score was 0-0 at half time. We had to press higher on the pitch and think about passing more accurately. In the second half, the boys put their foot down from the kick off. Will won a ball on the halfway line and passed the ball well to Freddie who beat his opposite man and managed to cross it to Tom for a tap in. Nice goal from the boys in blue. We continued strongly, pushing for a second and taking advantage of a well organised team to counter attack. After a free kick from Vlad that the goalkeeper only just managed to save, Tom was the quickest to react and volleyed the ball into the back of the net. It was his second of the match and the final score of 2-0 was out first win of the season and Nikita's first clean sheet, finally...

Feeling over the moon with that result we had as instructions for the match against Lingfield to carry on where we left and keep pressing the opposition. Unfortunately, we quickly conceded in the first half and we were never able to react before the half. Despite a good performance from Vlad and Rocco at the back Lingfield added a second before half time. The determination to win that match was not on our side and the Colts A had a show more in the second half. Freddie, Igui and Tom worked hard to steal balls and Will did well to bring the ball forward but we never ended up in a good position to score.
That win against Handcross will boost the boys confidence but they need to remember that they have to work hard and as a team to win matches. They need to be able to produce the same level of football during both halves. They will be put to the test next Saturday with a short trip to Brambletye for our first encounter of the season. Surely they will not lack motivation for that one.   SR          

Colts B          Lost 0-1, Won 1-0      

The Colts B had an enjoyable triangular fixture against Lingfield Notre Dame and Handcross Park. In the first match against Lingfield we played some very promising football against a strong team, in particular defending doggedly. It was a close match which we were unlucky to lose 1-0.

In the second match, this time against Handcross, we played our best football of the season. We swapped some positions around and this proved very effective: Kent Horiguchi and Alex Davis combined well in midfield to provide quality service to striker George Codrington. This paid off, and a superb finish from George gave us a fully deserved 1-0 victory.

Well done to all the boys for a very good afternoon's football. RC
Colts C          Won 4-0, Lost 1-2, Won 1-0
On Wednesday afternoon the Colts C took part in a quadrangular tournament at Lingfield Notre Dame.

Our first match was against the Lingfield Colts F team. The boys played really well in their opening game, playing a high energy pressing game and giving their opponents little time on the ball. Aanu and Beltran formed a very successful attacking partnership, scoring four well taken goals in a convincing 4-0 victory, with Beltran helping himself to a hat-trick.  Sasha and Arthur formed a solid defensive partnership, and restricted our opponents to just a handful of chances.

Our second match proved to be a sterner test against the eventual tournament winners, the Lingfield Colts E. Our opponents caught us cold in the opening seconds of the match, scoring a quick fire goal. However, the Colts C kept their heads and defended bravely to keep the score down. Sasha was the stand out player in the second match, working tirelessly to break up opposition attacks with some no-nonsense defending. Despite our best efforts, Lingfield Colts E grabbed a second goal with five minutes of the game remaining. The boys continued to battle gamely, and were rewarded with an excellently taken goal by Beltran in the closing stages. The game ended 2-1, but the boys never gave up and did themselves proud.

Our third game of the quadrangular was against the Handcross Park Colts E team. With the energy reserves running low, the final game was a scrappy affair. Toby and Aanu battled well to try and gain the upper hand in midfield and Beltran had a few chances to give Ashdown the lead. At the other end Remy was growing in confidence in goal, making some timely saves to keep the score at nil-nil. With the final whistle fast approaching, Beltran was able to latch onto a wayward clearance to slot home the only goal of the match for a narrow 1-0 victory.

Our boys did themselves proud today, winning 2 of their 3 matches. There were some very encouraging performances which will hopefully give the boys confidence for the remainder of the football season.   JT

Saturday, 08 October 2016

Saturday, 8th October

Football v Holmewood House
1st XI                 Won 3-2    
This was our best performance to date with the team being far more competitive and playing some nice attacking football at times.  Goals from de Havas and  Duarte free kick gave us a 2-1 lead at half time, but as expected we were slightly on the back foot in the second half with Holmewood coming back at us.  de Havas slotted a third, before a Holmewood second made for a rather nervous final five minutes.  Bourne was excellent at the back and carried the ball forward well, whilst Duarte commanded midfield.  Hopefully this will spur the team on for the forthcoming fixtures.  PM       

Colts A              Lost 1-2    
Our opponents today were the Holmewood House Colts B team who provided a much more even opposition than previously this season. We were missing a few players and Rocco stepped up to create a good partnership with Vlad in defence. William had two good opportunities to open the scoring but both attempts were thwarted by Holmewood's goalie. The ten minutes that followed went our visitor's way: we were put on the back foot and Holmewood deservedly scored with a nice shot to the bottom left of our goal. We came back strongly and didn’t give up. We combined well and were dangerous thanks to Freddie up front who was a constant nuisance for the defenders. Unfortunately, we could not capitalise on our good moment before half time. The second half started with a brilliant goal from Holmewood and a clean volley from outside the box – there was nothing that Nikita could do against that goal. The rest of the half was end to end football with several chances for both sides to score; Tom picked up William with a lovely ball but he could not score, Freddie was close twice to burying a ball in the nets but it was Igui who ran well in the box and got the ball past the goal keeper. We pushed for an equalizer but missed our last passes or did not make the appropriate runs. Despite this defeat we played a much more leveled match and we will hopefully get a more positive result in the next few matches.   SR

Colts B              Lost 1-3         
The Colts B had a close, exciting match against Holmewood House. Conceding two early goals made things difficult for us, however we fought hard and got a goal thanks to Elias . Elias and Beltran combined well up front and created many chances. Alexander R returned to goal keeping duty this week and made some fine saves. Well done to all the boys.   RC

<<  1 2 3 4 [56  >>